School Opening Hours
|Winter (September – May)||8.30am – 2.30pm|
|Summer (June –July)||8.30am – 12.15pm|
|Mid-Morning Break||10.10am – 10.30am|
|Midday Break||12.30pm – 1.00pm|
Historical perspective of Qala Primary School
The first primary school in Qala was for boys and it was first opened in a privately owned house in Conception Street on September 1889. Only forty-six boys were enrolled. The first headmaster was Mr. Paul Dalli. In June 1890, the first primary school for girls was opened, run by Franciscan Sisters. In that same year, the boys moved to this same building and occupied the ground floor of this building. As the children’s population continued to increase, the boys once again moved out to a privately owned house in Mgarr Road, very close to St. Joseph’s Square. Both the boys and girls attended their respective schools until 1960 when a new school in Bishop Buttigieg Street opened its doors to all the children at Qala. This school was inaugurated by Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh. This school plan was that of Architect Huntingford. The school is spacious and has certain modern facilities, amongst which we find a literacy room, computers in every classroom, a hall, a yard and a big garden. The classrooms are quite large and bright and they all include a small store, a cloak-room and a toilet.
On 27th April 1998, on the 38th anniversary of its inauguration, the school was officially named after President Anton Buttigieg, a native of Qala who followed the course of his Primary Years in this village school. A commemorative plaque was unveiled by his daughter Rose, to commemorate this event.